Ormskirk Market Day

  • Newsbox

Following requests from members; on the fourth Wednesday’s meetings, from now on we will open the Guides' Hut earlier, at 19.30 (7.30 p.m.) to allow members to meet and chat. We will also stay open a little longer after the talk has concluded, again to allow members to exchange information.

FREE ENTRY for MEMBERS, Visitors are requested to make £1.00 donation.


Please note: there is a map showing the location of the Guides' Hut on the "Library" page


Our 2018 Meetings

At the AGM, there were some changes to the committee of the ODFHS.   After 13 years in post, Bill Huyton resigned as Chairman and the position was accepted by Kate Hurst.  Bill is now termed "Chairman Emeritus"

Also thanked for their work were Don Holt and Jean Gidman who have stepped down after devoting their time to the Society for many years.



We started our series with Mr Roger Blaxall who's talk in January was well received.  Despite temperatures of minus 1, members & visitors came from as far away as Speke, south Liverpool to hear a very wide-ranging talk.

Members have expressed a wish that we also mention meetings (& events) further in the future.  Below we have listed the March, April & May meetings but please do check nearer the time in case the details change.


FEBRUARY 27TH 2019           “FROM the SOIL” – The growth of Ormskirk

                                               (Ormskirk’s Agricultural Heritage) Mr Peter Gateley

Mr Gateley has great knowledge of the area and the native plants; also those that were grown for agricultural use.  Our region has been transformed from moss land to prime agricultural land - from weeds to food.  During various centuries the land has produced Flax for ropes and cabbage seed carrying the name "Ormskirk".  We can look forward to a very interesting talk about things that all our Agricultural Labourers (Ag. Labs) had to deal with in the past.

MARCH 27TH                          The NEWBURGH BLACKSMITH,  John Westhead who was killed in action in the 1stWW

                                                Mr Martin Jones


APRIL 24th                            The VIKINGS of the WEST LANCASHIRE COAST

                                               Mr Paul Sherman from the NW Heritage Group


MAY 22nd                              AGM    and A TALE of a TEACHER

                                              Miss Kate Hurst






Ormskirk Church
Ormskirk Parish

Ormskirk railwaymen 1908
Ormskirk Station

Scarisbrick Hall 1815
Scarisbrick Hall

Regal, Ormskirk
Regal Cinema

Skelmersdale Station

Moor Street market
Moor Street