Ormskirk Market Day

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Richard Alty of Rufford 1 year 3 weeks ago #327

• Keith
  • Keith's Avatar Topic Author
Researching my family tree I came across some articles from about 1907 that referred to a grave in St Mary's Rufford of Richard Alty bassoonist. It said that a bassoon was bought by the parish in 1816 for a church band/orchestra and was still (in 1907) in the possession of Richards family. 
Does anyone know of the grave or any more information on this please?

Richard Alty of Rufford 1 year 3 weeks ago #328

The Society has produced a CD of Monumental Inscriptions at St Mary's Church, Rufford, which has an entry in respect of a Richard Alty in 1907, who was a descendant of the original Richard Alty who the bassoon was purchased for in 1816.  There is a note saying that the bassoon is on view in a glass cabinet inside the church.  As the CD was compiled in the early 21st century, it would be wise to check with the church first if you are intending to visit to view it.   Pam Richardson

Richard Alty of Rufford 1 year 2 weeks ago #329

• Keith
  • Keith's Avatar Topic Author
I don't know why I didn't look for a CD , I have some others of yours which I have found invaluable!
The answer has helped but also confused me a bit.
There only seems to be one Richard Alty died in 1907 and he was buried in  Christ Church, Charnock Richard, so not sure why he would be mentioned at St Mary's 
He seems to be descended from my 5 x great uncle - so it was possibly him that it was bought for as I believe he died in 1829.
Clearly I have a lot more to do but hopefully on track. I'll get the CD and see where it takes me.
Thank you,
Time to create page: 0.156 seconds

Ormskirk Church
Ormskirk Parish
Church

Ormskirk railwaymen 1908
Ormskirk Station

Scarisbrick Hall 1815
Scarisbrick Hall

Skelmersdale Station
Skelmersdale
Station