Ormskirk Market Day

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Melling Schoolmaster & Chapel Warden James Bennett 1 month 3 weeks ago #316

My 4xgreat grandfather James Bennett was a Schoolmaster at Melling School, on the 1841 census he was living in the school house.  Does anybody have any information (or where I can find some) about the school during the early 1800's.  He was also a Chapel Warden, I am also trying to find more information about this. thanks Liz Culshaw

Melling Schoolmaster & Chapel Warden James Bennett 1 month 3 weeks ago #318

Hello Liz,

Thanks for your message. The first things that spring to mind would be to have a look at the ordnance survey map for Melling; there was one drawn up around the 1840s, and you can find them on the National Library of Scotland's map finder website (free of charge). There are a couple of schools mentioned on this map which could help you to get an idea of where he might have worked:

maps.nls.uk/view/102344069

To look at it from another angle, you might also find trade directories helpful, and there are a couple on the University of Leicester's Historical Directories website. The one that immediately came to my mind was Mannex's Directory of Mid-Lancashire (1854), which I know is listed on there, so I checked the details for Melling (pg.648-649, going by the printed page numbers, or pg.658-659, going by the total number of pages) and there is some information there about the school, including the detail that the old school house was being used as a house for the school master and mistress by the 1850s. It also suggests that James Bennett senior was succeeded as teacher by his son (also James) so it may be of some use. There is also a "Melling Directory" on pgs. 652-653, giving people's occupations.

specialcollections.le.ac.uk/digital/coll...16445coll4/id/319046

Kate Hurst
ODFHS Chair
Time to create page: 0.121 seconds

Ormskirk Church
Ormskirk Parish
Church

Ormskirk railwaymen 1908
Ormskirk Station

Scarisbrick Hall 1815
Scarisbrick Hall

Skelmersdale Station