Ormskirk Market Day

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

(Manchester) Ormskirk Parish Church 5 months 2 weeks ago #241

• George Nixon
  • George Nixon's Avatar Topic Author
I am trying to trace the grave of a relative in Ormskirk parish church.
Joseph Manchester 1775 - 1829
I have a copy of a Parish burial record igiving the date of 15th july 1829 in Ormskirk.
A very helpfull lady at the church office had a C.D from the ODFHS and gave me a listing of all the Manchester's listed as buried in the churchyard, a number of them were family members but Joseph was not among them.
Does any member have any ideas where I can go to solve this.

Thank you

George Nixon

(Manchester) Ormskirk Parish Church 5 months 2 weeks ago #243

Hello George,

I think I might be able to help with this one. The CD that we produced was based on the names of the existing gravestones at the time when ODFHS did the survey of the churchyard, so it only includes details relating to the families whose headstones were still in existence at the time.

However, there are a large number of other stones (generally dating from the 1700s and early 1800s) that were re-used as paving stones for the church paths; I believe this only happened in the mid-20th century. From what I understand, the paths are made up of a double layer of stones, so (of course) the bottom layer can't be seen today.

We have published data on the old section of Ormskirk Church's graveyard, which suggests that the old part (the area immediately around the church) was closed in or soon after 1848, as it had reached capacity. There is one pre-1848 grave on the CD for a person named H. Manchester (but not a Joseph). My first thought is that, if Joseph had a relative whose first initial was H., he might be buried in that plot.

The difficulty is that the church may not have kept records of who was buried in which plot before 1848; they may simply have noted that a person was buried in the churchyard without bothering to state exactly where that person was buried. (From what I can gather, the idea of mapping and numbering grave plots and cross-referencing those details with the burial registers didn't really start until the Victorian period.)

Hope the above is of some help, and I'll let you know if I find out any more.
Kate
ODFHS Chair

(Manchester) Ormskirk Parish Church 3 weeks 1 day ago #322

New once again to this site. I have found the following on Lancashire Online Parish Clerks site, I us it lots.
Joseph Manchester baptised 26 Jul 1872 in St. Peter & St. Paul Ormskirk to Timothy & Jane, abode Bickerstaffe.
Died 15 Feb 1829 age 56 Bickerstaffe.
Hope this helps.
Regards,
Jim Nolan
Time to create page: 0.138 seconds

Ormskirk Church
Ormskirk Parish
Church

Ormskirk railwaymen 1908
Ormskirk Station

Scarisbrick Hall 1815
Scarisbrick Hall